Beans and pancetta baked in a clay pot
- 500 g dry beans
- 200 ml tomato passata
- 200 ml mustard
- 3 tbsps. balsamic vinegar
- 50 g sausage
- 100 g pancetta
- 2 garlic cloves
- ½ onion
- black pepper
- freshly grated nutmeg
- 2 tbsps. breadcrumbs
- Put the beans in a clay pot, fill it with water and add a teaspoon of baking soda; soak beans overnight.
- The next morning, beans should have absorbed water and doubled in volume. Add the tomato passata, the mustard and the balsamic. Mix well and add water periodically to keep beans covered. Peel and chop garlic and onions and add to the mix with salt, pepper and nutmeg.
- Place the sausage and pancetta onto a grill inside a roasting pan and bake at 140°C (280°F). Cover the pot and put it next to the pan,
- When sausage and pancetta are golden, remove the pan from the oven. Cut them into small pieces and add them to the pot. Check the beans and, if necessary, add some water. Cooking them takes about two hours.
- When the beans are tender enough to eat, take the lid off, sprinkle breadcrumbs on beans and bake a few minutes.
- Serve in single-portion bowls with a tablespoon of sour cream and minced chives.