Potato pie with Caciocavallo cheese served in Mornay sauce
Potato pie is a perfect starter that adds style to any special dinner. This is a simple recipe, and like all simple recipes we need to be careful about the food we buy.
Thanks to Duettino of Alfa Living’s patented double chamber oven, cooking in the upper chamber is made easy: it keeps the same temperature for long periods and cooks in less time thanks to the refractory.
INGREDIENTS (for a single portion)
- 1 small potato
- “caciocavallo” cheese
- salted ricotta
- Mornay sauce
- Mozzarella (cut into pieces or slices)
- Light up the oven 30 minutes before cooking so that the chamber combustion temperature is 200°C / 390°F
- Slice the caciocavallo into small cubes.
- Wash the potato. Boil one half in hot water and mash it to have a puree. Slice the other half into thin strips and then grill the strips in the bottom cooking chamber for 5 minutes.
- Place oven paper on the chef tools tray. Put the dough cutter on it, and place the potato strips inside the cutter, overlapping them.
- Sprinkle on salt and pepper and top with mozzarella pieces.
- Place on potato puree layer, more mozzarella and another layer of potato strips
- To finish, sprinkle the salted ricotta over the pie
- Cook for 15 minutes, and serve hot
For more variety try using other kinds of cheese. We served it up on a “cappello da prete” plate.