Homemade Soft Pretzels from Gemma
Enjoy watching her video posted on her blog bigger bolder baking and bon appetit!
- Cooking flame
- Oven temperature 225 °C
- Cooking time: 45 minutes
- 3 cups (42Og/ 15oz) strong flour/ bread flour
- 11/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp yeast (I used active dried yeasy)
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 101/2 ounces water
- To poach the pretzels : 6 cups (11/2litre) water
- 6 tsp baking soda
- egg wash
- melted butter, to brush pretzels
- In a large bowl add in the flour.
- Put yeast on one side of the bowl and salt and sugar on the side of the bowl.if you dd the salt on top of the yeast it will deactivate that yeast and your dough will not rise.
- Add in water and mix to form a dough. That’s it, your dough is done!
- Wrap the bowl tight with film wrap and lay a bowl over it. Put it in a dry place at room temp and leave over night. A minimum of 12 hours, but up to 18 hours and let time do its magic. I do 18 hours 🙂
- The next day your double will smell boozy and bubbling. It is pretty incredible.
- Turn out onto a floured surface and divide into 9 balls and let it and relax for 2 minutes
- To shape: take each piece of dough and begin rolling them on the counter. Bang the dough on the counter like I do in the video and they will just naturally get longer and longer. Keep going until you reach 24 inches (60 cm). Twist the ends of the dough and press onto the the opposite sides of the pretzel.
- Put straight into boiling water with baking soda and poach for JUST 30 seconds, then place on a baking tray. This boiling step is the secret to firm skin and adds that definite pretzel flavor.
- Brush with egg wash and sprinkle with sea salt
- Bake 450oF (225oC) for 15 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!!!!